Kathy Bauer’s art training has been focused on the figure and the traditional realism of the old masters. But after many years of working only on portrait commissions, she has broken out of the studio to master landscape painting from life. Living near the beach in Southern California has inspired her to delve into the alla prima style of plein air painting. She feels it is the closest she can come to portraying the effects of light and color that define the beautiful landscapes and seascapes around her. She has recently studied with Eric Merrell and Peggi Kroll-Roberts and David Gallup in addition to studying the techniques of the California Impressionists.
Kathy has a design degree from UC Davis in Northern California, near her hometown of Woodland. She was fortunate to have grown up in a small farm town amongst the rolling foothills and peaceful pastures, where she spent time drawing barns and farm animals. After college she moved to Los Angeles, ready for city living and a career in art. Kathy worked in advertising, lighting design, silk-screening t-shirts, and as a fine art instructor before she set off on her own to focus on her art career. For the last 10 years she has worked as a professional portrait artist, using mostly soft pastels for commissioned artwork.
Kathy’s original art project based on plein air painting has been chosen for the 2016/17 Young At Art educational program where it will be taught to 8000 students in the South Bay area. She is a member of the California Art Club, Laguna Plein Air Painters Association, Southern California Plein Air Painters Association, Palos Verdes Art Center, Pastel Society of Southern California, and the El Segundo Art Association.
For more information about custom portraits contact Kathy or visit her Etsy store.
Recent exhibits include juried shows:
- Water and Wood Juried Art and Photography Exhibit: Feb. 11-18 at Hermosa Design, Hermosa Beach, CA
- California Art Club: Musical Motifs, Jan. 27 – May 30, 2017 at the Altadena Town and Country Club, Altadena, CA
- California Art Club: The Plein Air Perspective, Nov. 5, 2016 – Jan. 28, 2017 at the Millard Sheets Art Center, Pomona, CA.
- I am honored to have 4 paintings in this juried show
- Rejoice In Art Juried Show, Redondo Beach, CA, November, 2016
- La Jolla Art Association: Worldscapes Juried Show, La Jolla, CA. September, 2016
- Destination Art: Art2Go Event, Torrance,CA., November, 2016
- Hometown Fair, Manhattan Beach, CA. 2016
- Debra Huse Gallery, Just Plein Fun Painting Competition, Balboa Island, CA. 2016
- San Clemente Plein Air Festival, 2016
- Mission Federal San Diego Art Walk 2016
- El Segundo Art Walk, Summer 2016
- Palos Verdes Art Center Holiday Art Show, 2015
- “Normal” at the El Segundo Public Library where she received Honorable Mention for “City Beach,” 2015
- Southern California Pastel Society’s Annual Exhibition at the Lexus Service Center in Torrance 2015
- I Heart Manhattan Beach at Manhattan Beach City Hall, 2014